written at 8:39am
This morning my roommate, Jennifer (not upset by the late night blogging, btw), and I were woken by the hotel alarm - not set by either of us - 2 minutes before our own alarms went off (creepy, no?). We had to be at a breakfast caucus at 6:30am! It was a good breakfast (thanks to the Amway Grand!) and a very informative meeting! Yvette Flounder from San Francisco came to speak with us about the Single Governance resolutions; the big talk of the synod.
Here are a few of the highlights:
- Single Governance:
- currently 88 members of executive council
- pros of current model: LOTS of representation - the current model tries to include representatives from as many minority groups as possible
- cons of current model: too many cooks, not enough communication/trust/covenant between the different boards (4 separately incorporated ministries; Justice and Witness, Wider Church Ministries, Local Church ministries, Office of General Ministries)
- We got friendship bracelets in still speaking colors made for us by delegate Lisa Lindesmith, so we can more easily recognize each other
- Meeting tonight after worship for "provisions" in Karen S-S's room! As Grand Rapids told its businesses in a memo, "The UCC is not opposed to alcohol." In other words, stock up!
Today we have River City Saturday - a day of workshops, entertainment and fellowship. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, though I'm afraid I'll need to skip some things to take a nap! This morning we are Worshiping again in the Plenary hall with the Coalition Choir (among others) providing music. So far so good! I better get to it - I need some church this morning! Can I get an Amen?!